Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Interesting phone call

Yesterday while I was at work my coworker Laura told me I had a phone call and she thought it was one of my kids. I didn't think much of it until I picked up the phone and my daughter Cheyanne was on the other end crying. I immediately asked her what was wrong and she told me she had "started and was scared". I tried to comfort her on the phone and let her know that everything was going to be ok but I could tell by the sound in her voice she was wanting me to go pick her up and talk. I only had a half hour left so I asked Laura if she would mind me leaving early. She said no and I was out the door.
When I got to my Sister-In-Laws house she seemed to be a little less upset, we talked on the way home and I reassured her that everything she was feeling was all normal and that she was now a woman. Her reply to me was "Daddy is going to be upset that I am not his little girl anymore". Yes he is I thought to myself, knowing how difficult this transition for Cheyanne was going to be on Jeff. Once we got home she and I talked a little more and then it was off to her friends house to tell her "the news" followed by phone calls to both grandmas and probably a few more we don't know about :-)
I have to say that being a step-mom can be very difficult at times, trying hard not to step past those boundries that had been placed, but oh how rewarding it is to have the HONOR of being the "first" one told and being able to have my relationship with Cheyanne grow even closer. She is a beautiful young woman that I am extremely proud of and I am truely blessed to have her as my daughter!

3 comments:

Slone said...

sorry, it was hard to read your post. seems that I have a plumbing leak in this room and water seems to be splashing on my glasses. funny, there's no other place it's hitting. I'm so glad to have you in "our" lives. I Love You.

Mike said...

As I commented on The guy above this posts blog. Very well written and very thoughtful!

Geez,,,,I better start writing about more deep things than just my music dribble! :-)

Good job!

Jarre said...

When Cheyanne called Jeff, she said "Daddy, I need my Mom" you became more that a "Step-Mom". Ed asked why she was crying and when I told him, he got all teary eyed. Our "Baby Girls" are growing up too fast.