Sunday, May 18, 2008

The BIG 40

A few months ago my husband & I began talking about things I wanted to do for my 40th birthday. I told him that I was having a hard time with this birthday, I have not been depressed or anything but it just seems hard to believe that it's here already and as my friends and family know I certainly don't act my age!!! Anyway...I told Jeff that I wanted a roller skating party for my birthday. He thought I was CRAZY! Now, you need to understand that I have never had a "special" party for any of my big birthdays so this time I wanted to make it big and we did. Jeff rented out the skating rink (the "Rink of Fire" as Todd calls it) and we invited all our friends and family the Sunday before my actual birthday (since that was the only time we could get it around my birthday). There were about 70 people who came. We skated to mostly 80's music and had a BLAST! We even did the Hokey Pokey and the slide on skates, I thought I was going to break my neck but managed to do very well, if I do say so myself! At the end of the party I went up to open my presents and was just about to sit down when my friend Karla (whom I still love) said "I'm watching you, don't fall" and as I started to reply, my skates went out from under me and I landed smack on my hind end!! It almost took my breath away I hit so hard, after a few minutes I managed to get up and open my presents. It sucks being older, just simply because it has taken sooo long to recoop from the fall...20 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it!!!

So now the party is over and my actual birthday arrives...Jeff had arranged with my boss Emily to give me 5 days off months ago but never told me why, so I had no idea what else he had planned for me. All he would say was that it involved a rental car, the ocean and travel. He also said that Saturday (which was my birthday) would be very busy because of my daughters softball game and He and Archie were in a parade that morning, but that he wanted to take me out for breakfast before all the madness started. So, Saturday morning came & we went to the Train Depot (one of our favorites) for breakfast. Just before we got there my Aunt Di sent me a text message wishing me a Happy Birthday so as we entered the building I was looking down to text her back when Jeff turned me by my shoulders and said Happy Birthday. As I looked up, I saw my Father (who is from Florida) sitting there at the table and I started to has been 3 years since I last got to see him which is far too long!!! We sat there and had a great breakfast and enjoyed some good conversation. After breakfast Jeff & I took my Daddy out to see our horses while Jeff loaded his up for the parade. I then took my Dad home to see all the kids & to get everyone ready to go the parade. When we got there the kids all came outside 1 by 1 to say Hi and give Hugs except for Clayton...the last time he saw my Dad he was only about 4 months old so he wasn't quite sure who this dude was...he hid behind me and poked his head around to take a look but that was about it, at least for the first 30 minutes, then we couldn't get him to leave his Papa Cessna alone!! It was Papa look at this and Papa look at Father was in seventh heaven!!! We then went to the parade in Madera and watched Jeff & Archie play Cowboy, then went to Cheyanne's softball game where her team lost but my Dad didn't care...he was just glad to watch (with pride I might add) his granddaughter play. After the games (she had 2 she had to play) we went back to the house to clean up and get ready for dinner. We decided to go to Red Robin and my Mother and Step Dad joined us for dinner and we had a very nice evening. After dinner we went back to the house & my Dad stayed for a little while but then left for his motel. The next morning we took him to Jamestown and showed him all the things we enjoy doing as a family. We rode the train and since it was Mother's Day I got to ride the train for free :-) Afterwards we went into Columbia, showed Dad around there, bought some candy from our favorite candy store, let the kids climb on the rocks and then headed up to the cemetary (Jeff actually caught something on his camera that he thinks might be a ghost) before heading home. I think we wore my Dad out from the weekend so the rest of the time my Dad & I just hung out and enjoyed each other, except for Tuesday night when we went to watch my other daughter Alexis play her softball game. She made a huge play to help win the game and got the game bear (instead of the game ball) her Papa couldn't have been more proud! The worst part of the whole thing was having to say good-bye!!! I Love my Daddy with all my heart and I wish that we lived a lot closer but I am greatful for the time I did get to share with him!!

I know I say all the time about how great my husband is, how special my kids are and how I couldn't imagine life without them...well it's true!!! I honestly believe that I have the World's most AWESOME husband EVER!!! And Honey...Thank you, for making my Birthday sooo special and my life the Best! You really are my Best Friend, My Lover, My Life, My Knight in Shining Armor and with all my Heart...I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sorry I am late on this one....but very nice post! Sounds like a great 40!